Innovation and research services include hosting of open
source and other collaborative projects. In addition,
The Open Group research and innovation team can provide
technical research and consulting, with a particular focus
on technology transference from research to practical implementation.
Success Stories: The Open Manageability Project was established
to produce an open source implementation of the WBEM/CIM
standards. The Open Group is hosting this project
and provides project management, technical resources and
infrastructure services. Additionally, we provide resources
to the development activity and facilitate the operation
of various collaborative bodies to oversee and control the
Open source hosting or homesteading
The Open Group provides the following project management
and operational services for projects involving open source
implementations of open standards:
- Formation of a project steering committee, including
establishment of the rights and responsibilities of members,
rules and bylaws.
- Establishment of an architecture project team.
- Provision of a project manager with responsibilities
for the project plan and implementation strategy, coordination,
liaison, technical direction, leadership.
- Ongoing management and oversight of the committee(s)
and the architecture team.
- Conflict resolution.
- Facilitation of market awareness and adoption criteria.
The Open Group can provide technical resources to handle:
- The master source,
- Access control,
- Distributions and problem handling,
- Development of and adherence to development guidelines,
- Technical documentation.
The Open Group can also provide infrastructure services,
- Meeting and teleconference management,
- Email and web access, web site publishing and maintenance,
- Online discussion groups,
- Public relations and press release coordination,
- Online document review and comment system. (see standards)
These infrastructure services are similar to those offered
to consortia to support consortia activities (see management
services for detail).
Using the model applied to open source projects, The Open
Group provides support for other collaborative projects.
This support has taken various forms, as The Open Group
has participated in and coordinated several EEC funded
projects including TIE and ALPINE.
Through its Government Programs group, The Open Group
provides a consulting and technology transfer resource specializing
in commercial and government customers use of government-sponsored
advanced technologies. The Open Group offers consultation
in establishing and managing research projects to meet client
The Open Group's experienced engineers have assisted clients
- Quality of Service (QoS) requirements definition,
- Joint design and trade-off studies,
- Advanced development and pre-production test beds,
- Acquisition and integration of commercial QoS related
- Development of QoS software required for effective
end- to- end system QoS design and implementation.