Certification provides formal recognition of a product's
conformance to an industry standard specification. This
- Suppliers to make and substantiate clear claims of
conformance to a standard
- Buyers to specify and successfully procure conforming
products that interoperate
As the premier certification service provider of the IT
industry, The Open Group's certification services include:
- Definition of the policies and procedures for certification
- Development of a certification program, based on the
policies, to certify products against an industry standard
- Design and implementation of test suites for conformance
- Operation of the program on an ongoing basis
With over 15 years of experience, The Open Group has developed
and operates industry based IT certification programs in
several strategic areas, including UNIX ®, CORBA ® and LDAP.
The Open Group has developed and currently maintains conformance
test suites for many technologies, including those for the
programs listed above, the X Window System, Motif ®,
Digital Video Broadcasting Multimedia Home Platform, Secure
Electronic Transactions (SET), Common Data Security Architecture
(CDSA), and Linux.
See Testing for
more information on conformance test suite development.
Definition and Program Development
The Open Group's certification programs are based on a
supplier's claim of conformance, with testing providing
an indicator of conformance. Suppliers typically use test
suites to establish confidence that their product conforms.
To achieve certification, the supplier must provide a warranty
of conformance. This warranty ensures that:
- Products conform to an industry standard specification
- Products remain conformant throughout the life of the
- If there is a non-conformance, the product will be
fixed in a timely manner
The Open Group has considerable skills in resolving conflicts
and facilitating consensus among the complex legal, technical
and commercial factors and pressures that underlie any certification
The Open Group works in conjunction with the customer
to define the policies that form the foundation of the program.
Once the policies and procedures are agreed, the next step
is to develop the documents and systems required to launch
and operate the program. These include everything a supplier
needs in order to certify, such as legal agreements, registration
materials, a user guide, and any procedural documents for
the certification operations staff.
The Open Group acts as the independent Certification Authority
for many industry based certification programs. As the Certification
Authority, The Open Group frees consortia from the day-to-day
operations of the program, and ensures impartiality, confidentiality,
and a proven, predictable process. Our innovative web-based
certification system is tailored to the policies of the
program to guide suppliers through the process of certifying
Certification program operation involves the day-to-day
management of all activities required to certify products
in accordance with the requirements of a particular program.
- Processing registrations for certification
- Auditing each certification submission, including any
required test results
- Assessing whether a product submitted for certification
meets the conformance requirements
- Maintaining a register of products that have been successfully
- Providing guidance to suppliers throughout the process
- Monitoring and administering vendor reporting of problems
encountered during testing and vendor requests for interpretations
of the specification.